Kids Beating Cancer Cellular Therapy Lab
The Kids Beating Cancer Cellular Therapy Lab, is a state-of-the-art Lab advancing treatments available for fighting pediatric cancer. Cellular Therapy is the future of medicine and saving children’s lives.
The Kids Beating Cancer Cellular Therapy Lab provides critical procedures necessary for bone-marrow and stem cell transplants for children, their only chance of survival, reducing the wait time and healthcare costs. When stem cell are collected from a child – he or she has to sit with a central line for up to 4 hours without moving. The Kids Beating Cancer Cellular Therapy Lab reduces this to less than an hour – the hours gained can seem like a lifetime for a family.
The state-of-the-art medical equipment Kids Beating Cancer has provided to the Cellular Therapy Lab, and some of equipment that will be purchased after the new Cellular Therapy Center is completed, is only possible through generous grants from donors like Jeunesse Kids and many other loyal supporters of Kids Beating Cancer:
- Through the purchase of a Flow Cytometer, the patient and donor experience by cutting down wait times to confirm cell collection is adequate. This will not only streamline the lab processing time but allow patients and donors to cut 1-3 hours of their wait time during cell collection via central lines, significant for pediatric patients!
- Apheresis, previously done by the local blood bank, struggled to process pediatric patients on the apheresis machine taking up to two days to collect. This population includes pediatric patients with brain tumors and neuroblastomas as well as allogeneic bone marrow transplants. This created an unpleasant experience for donors and can be very painful. Kids Beating Cancer brought this service in house by purchasing the Spectra Optia’s Apheresis System by Terumo BCT.
- Through the purchase of a Sysmex Cell Counter, utilized for nucleated cell counts in the stem cell products for dosing purposes, counts are more accurate, The more accurate the dose, the better the patient outcomes.
- As a Liquid Nitrogen Storage ages there is greater risk that if the tank goes down cells will be lost. This creates significant risk for our patients and program. Through Kids Beating Cancer, 2 new Liquid Nitrogen Storage Tanks were purchased to avoid any potential loss of patient stem cells. 2 additional freezers are needed to secure the next 3 years of continued operations.
- In order to better support the needs of the new Kids Beating Cancer Cellular Therapy Lab, large storage tanks will supply the lab with liquid nitrogen. The Manifold system is piped into the lab and eliminates contaminants from coming into the lab by delivery of the replacement cylinders.
- In order to cryopreserve stem cells, cryo preservatives need to be added and spun down to volume to reduce stem cell products by centrifugation ensuring the least amount of DMSO. With the purchase of two Floor Centrifuges, less DMSO will reduce side effects at transplant such as nausea and vomiting and potentially anaphylaxis.
- Two state of the art instruments will arrive by the end of 2022, the Miltenyi Prodigy and the Miltenyi MacsQuant. These instruments will expand current services to pediatric and adult patients to include:
- Manufacture cell therapy products depleted for alpha-beta T-cells, cutting edge therapy for reducing post-transplant Graft versus Host Disease which is a major complication after transplant
- Manufacture NK selected cell therapy products
- Potentially manufacture CAR-T cell therapy products “in-house” which are currently purchased commercially for pediatric and adult patients
YOUR support in advancing Cellular Therapy will Save Children’s Lives. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 407-894-2888.